Be Kind

Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 by Unknown in Labels: , , , , , , ,
0

Last night I was talking with my daughters about the poor behaviors of others while at work. My girls love working with people and at 18 – 23, one is a waitress, one is a salesperson for a cell phone company, and one works at a local grocery store. As such, all three get to see the good as well as the bad behaviors of the people in our community… Which is certainly magnified this time of year.

After listening to their horror stories and sharing a few of my own from my early days selling Christmas trees, I was reminded of the quote; "A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter, or to others, is not a nice person."
My favorites were the people who would say: "I could buy this place and fire you," or "I know the owner and I could have you fired." Those who say such things have revealed more about their character & integrity than about their influence or power.

To live life to the fullest, at some point in our life we need to let go of the idea that some people are below us. The Bible is very clear in stating that this isn't the case. Even if you've worked hard to get to where you are in life, there’s no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others as well. What goes around eventually comes around. No one has ever made themselves strong in the long run by showing how small someone else is.

Personally, some of the best lessons I have learned in my life have come from people who (my arrogant, younger self) thought that there was nothing that person could teach me. Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Next time you want to scold a waitress or argue with a salesperson… realize that was once each of us, and it could be my daughter… or it could be yours.
Remember, The only time you should look down on someone is when you are reaching down to lift them up!
You've got this!
LWS

0 comments: