How to apologize like a man

Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 by Unknown in Labels: , , , ,
3



There will come a time in every man’s life when things don't go his way. This is the reality of life, and I can tell that it’s naive to think that you will always be right or that you will always find yourself on the winning end. You won't, so deal with it. This is especially true if you are a leader involved in a lot of people’s lives. Sometimes you will get the chance to say “I told you so,” other times you will “get” to hear it.
If you are the guilty party, the only real choice you have is to be a man and face the music.  A real man is one who can face up to his mistakes and learn something from them so that he never repeats them.

So the question is, when is it OK to admit you're wrong? Although this question has puzzled men for centuries, the answer is quite simple: when you're wrong.
Where we get a glimpse into character is watching the way a person admits their mistakes ( if they do so at all ) , if they take full responsibility, and then what they are doing to clean up the mess. I have found that when good men make mistakes, they own up to them and get to work fixing them as best they can, even if it hurts. This takes character, integrity and a greater desire to be good, rather than simply to look good.

I know that many of you are probably thinking, “Isn't admitting defeat a bit like quitting?”
The answer to this question is no. In fact, it couldn't be further from quitting.  Let me explain;
For those of you that know me, you know that I am an optimist and that I hate to lose. I never, under any circumstances say, “What should I do now?” or “Hopefully I'll do better next time.” This type of attitude is weak and lacks vision. However, one shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge defeat either. You see, a real man has the ability to stand up tall and admit that he’s wrong. But, accepting defeat is not the same as admitting defeat. I don't believe that, as a man, you should ever accept defeat. The only thing worse is a man that acts like he is a victim and then defers the blame. A "Never Give Up" mentality is what separates winners from its losers. The ability to swallow your pride after making a mistake shows strength and can begin the process of forgiveness.  
With the right attitude, even losing can make you a stronger and better man.

Finally, if you have a friend or leader who has made an error and is now stepping up, offer them understanding and forgiveness... Lord knows that it could be any of us the next time.

Lance Smith



3 comments:

  1. Now that is preaching it brother, without actually preaching. Great and true words my friend. Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously, I couldn't. You are far better at this than me. LOL. Anyway, very well said. We need more men to step up and do that. Me included. Let's go men, be courageous.

  1. Well said. thanks Lance.